Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Is American Idol Homophobic?

Well, Clay Aiken won, didn't he, hahaha. Anyway, according to this Yahoo story last week (I know, I know I'm really up on current events) the Gay Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation got their um, panties in a wad because Simon and Randy made some comments about a dude wearing a dress. According to a GLAAD spokesman, "The real offense here was in the producer's decision to add insult to injury by turning a contestant's gender expression into the butt of a joke."

Sheesh.

Honestly, ladies, gender expressions (such as cross-dressing) made on a nationally televised talent contest geared for eighth-grade girls and their mothers is pretty foolish. And if you think that transgender pop stars are taken seriously anymore, well just ask Boy George. You can catch him on the graveyard shift at Denny's. He usually takes a smoke break around 2:45. Basically, if you decide to appear before a notorious prick like Simon Cowell, don't provide him with an obvious reason to publically ridicule you. A dude wearing a dress is just asking for trouble.

But then there is the PC side of this, which says that a dude wearing a dress on TV is not, in fact, asking for trouble. And in truth, making fun of people for being gay is a little bit like making fun of people for being Chinese. Or for having vaginas, but nobody disagrees with his or her friend who loved Blade: Trinity by saying, "Dude, that movie was totally Mexican." They disagree by saying that the movie was totally gay. And this isn't really fair, but unfortunately, the jury is still out about whether or not one has a choice about being gay, and old habits die hard. Which, I'll admit, is a pretty flimsy defense for what is apparently insensitive bigotry. But you know what? I don't believe for an instant that this RuPaul wannabe was making a political statement. I think he was just being a tacky asshole (and what a great mental picture that makes!). It has been my opinion for a long time that the average American would accept all homosexuals a lot more readily if the fringe-dwelling weirdo ones weren't constantly trying to freak out or piss off Connie Conservative. I'm sorry, but that's the unfortunate reality in a country where pluralism is pre-empted for the safety of the lowest common denominator.

I'm just saying is all.

--The Robo-Pirate

p.s.
I have a couple of gay friends, and we talk about this stuff often enough, and they basically agree with me. And my friends who are homosexuals are also on the same page as I am. They maintain that there are few things as inexcusable as a gay man with terrible taste. And as for my friends who have vaginas, they are named Kerry and Eric. Oh snap!

No comments: